Welcome to the official page for RUGS.
Check here for information about what’s happening in the world of the undergrads within Rice’s Earth, Environmental, & Planetary Sciences department.
Check Out Our Instagram!
Meet the 2019-2020 RUGS officers!
Hi, my name is Jackson Stiles, I‘m a senior at Duncan. If you ever have a comment, question or concern about RUGS or even the EEPS department, please feel free to email me at email@example.com or find me in person. If you ever want to talk about things not RUGS related, I’m always down to talk about sustainability, traveling, food adventures and whatever the latest show to hit Netflix is.
I‘m a junior at Martel College majoring in Earth Science with a specialization in Geochemistry and serve as treasurer of RUGS. I am originally from Dallas, TX and moved to Houston 9 years ago. Growing up, I tagged along on many of my dad’s field trips since he went back to school to get a master‘s degree in geology, so I found my love for the geosciences at a young age. Now I work in Dr. Melodie French’s lab, studying sheet silicates like micas with a nanoindenter. If you would like to get in contact, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Hi, I’m Jackie, a senior at Martel studying Earth Science and Visual Art. Right now, I’m broadly interested in climate migration, geoscience policy, science communication, and paleoclimate studies. Feel free to reach out to me (email@example.com) about anything or if you have any ideas for bonding events!!
HI! Nice to meet you. I am this year’s Web Manager for RUGS. I have been interested in the natural world for as long as I can remember, and my time in the EEPS department has only strengthened this passion. My Earth Science interests include oceanography, nutrient cycling, and sustainability! Outside of my major I also enjoy making music, playing tennis, and spending time in the outdoors.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about me or suggestions concerning our website.
- Enrich the experience of undergraduate Earth Science students at Rice University
- Provide a structured organization to engage with and support those in the community
- Strengthen the undergraduate Earth Science community
- Give undergraduates a stronger voice in the Earth Sciences department
- Help undergaduates find different opportunities by encouraging engagement with graduate students, faculty, and alumni.
- Provide programming to help with post-graduation plans
ESCI 322: Earth Systems and Cycles
White Sands National Monument, New Mexico
ESCI 322: Earth Chemistry and Materials
Welcome Back Get Together
– Sept 5th @ 6:00 pm
– 2nd floor of Keith Wiess Geological building
– Join your fellow Earth Science undergads for food and good conversation during our welcome back get together. Open to all Earth Science majors/minors and all new and returning students with intrest in the department.
All You Need to Know About Field Camp!
All Earth Science undergrads must complete a 3 credit hour feild camp as a graduation requirement. Some choose to stay local and complete a quick 10 day course at a neighboring college and others decide to go abroad!
A Few Field Camp Options
- This school provides a ton of feild camp options. You can choose from a winter course in California to an abroad trip to Spain! Check the above link for the complete list of options.
- This is a hydrogeolgy field camp which may be interesting to someone pursuing a related field.
- This course is not associated with a university, and provides options for an abroad field camp experience.
- A geology camp in the Rocky Mountains that focuses on using GIS and graphics software to complete projects.
- A hydrogeology field camp based in South Carolina.
- A field camp with CSU’s Soil Institute. This camp focuses on soil ecology and biogeochemisty in the Rocky Mountains.
How Do I Find Funding For Field Camp?
The EEPS department tries its best to meet funding needs for your field camp. Please contact Lee Wilson at email@example.com with your field camp information and you will recieve information about funding.