The Department of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences at Rice University is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. We are seeking candidates with independent research interests that intersect with one or more faculty within our department and who contribute positively to the diversity of the department through outreach or other means. Both domestic and international applicants are welcome. A Ph.D. is required at the time of appointment, but candidates must have received their Ph.D. no more than 3 years before their start date at Rice.
The research fellowships will be supported for two years, pending satisfactory progress during the first year, and covers an annual stipend of $60,000 with a benefits package and an additional annual discretionary research allowance of $3,500.
Applicants are requested to develop a proposal of research to be undertaken during the fellowship period. The principal selection criteria are scientific excellence, a clearly expressed research plan to address questions at the forefront of their field of study, research synergies with at least one faculty, and a commitment to fostering diversity in their field of research. The proposed research should encompass independent research ideas and explore new directions beyond the applicant’s Ph.D. Preference will be given to applicants whose proposals demonstrate independence and originality, and also the potential for collaboration with one or more faculty in the Department of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences.
The application should include the following documents:
* A current CV, including a list of publications
* A brief synopsis of the applicant’s doctoral dissertation (no longer than one page).
* A brief diversity statement that explains the applicants’ interest in, experience with, and/or planned commitment to addressing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their field of research (no longer than one page)
* A concise research proposal (no longer than three pages, including figures, excluding references) describing the applicants research interests, specifically the research that the applicant would like to pursue at Rice
* The names of potential Rice faculty who could serve as postdoctoral mentors for the
* “Applicants are responsible to ensure that three letters of reference are submitted to Rice University (via Rice Works). The deadline for letters is one week after the application deadline.
Following acceptance, the appointment may begin any time before 1 January, 2022. Questions, including regarding reference letters, can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rice University is located in Houston, Texas, and is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian university that aspires to path-breaking research, unsurpassed teaching, and contributions to the betterment of our world. Rice fulfills this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.