AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition, Calgary (2016)
Students, staff, professors, and alumni from Rice University, Department of Earth Science attended the AAPG, Annual Convention & Exhibition, Calgary 2016 from June 20th – June 23rd.
Faculty – André W. Droxler
Adjunct – Vitor Abreu, Paul M. (Mitch) Harris, Stephanie Shipp
Alumni – Vitor Abreu, Martha Lou Broussard, Gary Couples, Gulce Dinc, Hunter Lockhart, Bob Milam, Jack Neal, Stephanie Shipp, Joan Spaw, Richard Spaw, Nana Xu, and Jim Tucker
Students – Heath H. Hopson and Pankaj Khanna
The list of talks and poster presentations given by Rice are mentioned below:
- Transgressive Lag of Flat Rip-up Clasts – Substratum for Initial Growth of Upper Cambrian Large Microbial Bioherms. André W. Droxler, Heath, H. Hopson, Pankaj Khanna, Jacob, M. Proctor, Daniel J. Lehrmann, Paul (Mitch) Harris. Session – Geobiology of Carbonate Systems (SEPM)
- Investigating Upper Cambrian Microbial Reefs (Mason, Texas) – Unconventional Approach in Mapping and Quantifying their different scales. Pankaj Khanna, André W. Droxler, Heath, H. Hopson, Daniel J. Lehrmann, Paul (Mitch) Harris. Session – Unconventional Carbonate Reservoirs II (SEPM)
Poster Presentations –
- Distinct Growth Phases of an Upper Cambrian Microbial Reef Complex; Depositional Environment Indicators (James River, Mason County, Texas). Heath H. Hopson, Pankaj Khanna, Meron, Fessahaie , André W. Droxler, Paul (Mitch) Harris , Daniel J. Lehrmann. Session – Additional AAPG Student Research Poster Session II
- Uppermost Pleistocene Coralgal Reefs and Upper Cambrian Microbial Reefs: Morphologies and Sea Level-Induced Evolution (?). Pankaj Khanna, André W. Droxler, Daniel J. Lehrmann, Jeffrey Nittrouer, Paul (Mitch) Harris. Session – Additional AAPG Student Research Poster Session II
Highlights of the AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition at Calgary –
1. Adjunct Prof. Vitor Abreu (Rice University) – Taking charge as President of SEPM 2016-17
From Left to Right – Pankaj Khanna (PhD Candidate), Adjunct Prof. Vitor Abreu, Heath H. Hopson (Masters Candidate)
2. The Rice group also met few alumni during the meeting
From Left to Right – Hunter Lockhart (Former Rice Student – current Associate Geologist at BHP Billiton), Heath H. Hopson (Masters Candidate), Prof. André W. Droxler, Gulce G. Dinc (Former Rice Student – current – Geophysicist at ION Geophysical), and Pankaj Khanna (PhD Candidate)
3. The Carbonate Research Group – Rice University
From Left to Right – Pankaj Khanna (PhD Candidate), Prof. André W. Droxler, Heath H. Hopson (Masters Candidate)
4. Dinner at an AAPG event
Prof. Bill Fischer (UT) and Martha Lou
5. SEPM meetings – Monday evening – 21st June
From Left to Right – Prof. Vitor Abreu (SEPM President) , Jack Neal (ExxonMobil), and Prof. A. W. Droxler
6. SEPM Poster session – 22nd June
Adjunct Prof. Paul M. (Mitch) Harris and Prof. A. W. Droxler
Additionally the Carbonate research group went to Canadian Rockies to visit some Cambrian Microbial outcrops as well as few other outcrops.
- On the way to Helen lake microbial outcrops – Rick Sarg (CSM) and wife Ana
From Left to Right – Prof. Rick Sarg, Ana, Heath H. Hopson (Masters Candidate), and Pankaj Khanna (PhD Candidate)
2. Helen Lake Cambrian Microbial Outcrop
3. Devonian Carbonate outcrops near Canmore, Alberta
4. Sulphur Spring, Jasper National, Alberta
5. Athabasca Glacier, Jasper National National Park
If you would like to know more about the AAPG ACE meeting, Calgary, or about the field trip the Carbonate research group went on after the meeting then kindly let me know firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!